Sometimes as a maker things don’t work out correctly. This week I had one of those days.
I have been working on a new and larger set of moldings. Remastering originals, make new molds, etc. One of the best new styles is getting ready to go into production, so I was making the last and best silicon molds to use in final manufacturing.
OK, I do this all the time right. Well, when you pour silicon you need to make a bounding box. And this one was unstable at best. Never the less I went ahead and for the last pour asked my husband to come to the barn and help.
I got almost a gallon of silicone ready and poured all was good.
“can I go back to my work now?” said Chris. Sure was the answer. After all, we were in the curing phase. 30 min and were done.
As he left the barn the wind slammed the door and bang, the side of the bounding box blew out.
Harsh words follow as I try to save it. Humm, I need some help here as a whole lot of expensive product is making it’s way to the floor. But…. my phone is on the other side of the room, and the only thing keeping me from this mini-disaster is holding the box together.
More harsh words. And yes I held the box for 30 min while the silicone cured.
All’s well that ends well, and we saved the project but not in the easiest of fashion.
The moral of the story, not every picture is a lovely here is how it looks. Behind the scenes, there are plenty of mistakes and accidents when you’re a maker.